Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walk 29: Hollywood Center (2 miles)

Shortest walk so far, which was okay for today as I was getting over a little case of the crud and had to hurry back for the Super Bowl as well. Per the book, the walk is only 1 mile, but I stretched it out a bit by doubling back to the Jazzkat’s Coffee Bar for some decaf.

First stop, Hollywood Theater, which features the “wildly ornamented façade” in front:



Next came the Hollywood Library, which is the only Multnomah County library that I know of with apartments on top of it. That would be so fun to live up there! Picked up a Gladys Knight & The Pips "Gold" CD while I was there. Man that's good music for the soul.



Toward the end of the walk I passed an antique store with a vast assortment of stuff, only a certain percentage of it actually meeting the “over 50 years old” definition. I saw this Rush album (34 years old) in very good condition (with thick plastic sleeve!) and couldn’t resist dropping five bucks for some nice wall art.



All in all, a decent little city walk, short ‘n’ sweet, with a souvenir to take home.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! The Sellwood Library also has apts (condos) on top of it. You're right, that would be awesome. I would need 300 sq ft less, as my books would be housed downstairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, David, let's put together a posse and climb Mt St Helens this summer (it's really just a walk with butt sliding down)! It's a $25 permit but the view is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on! Mt. St. Helens hike, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete