Friday, February 11, 2011

Walk 30: Swan Island Beach (4.5 miles)

Ah, another day at the beach, this time at the riverside walk along Swan "Island," which is actually a peninsula now due to dredging to smooth marine traffic.

The walk started at the N. Prescott and Interstate MAX station and headed down the perfectly named Going Street (cuz I'm "going" there). After a mile or so, a trail branched off toward the river. Here a large metal sculpture welcomed me in. You can see the Fremont Bridge off in the distance.




I walked down to the "beach" (just like in Vancouver) and enjoyed the sand and driftwood. There were clear signs of human activity. I wondered how long this had been here, and if it were a representation of something?



After trudging along in the soft sand for a while, I trotted up a stone staircase to a paved riverside path, which led eventually to these train tracks as I began to loop back to the starting point.



As I headed back up Going Street (now "going" back), I spotted this 77 step staircase to Greeley Avenue, jogged up (puff puff) and back down the other side.



Not a bad walk. Though it was chilly and cloudy, it was nice to make a short trip to the beach without spending two hours on the highway. Though I wouldn't exactly call it a "fitness walk" it was very relaxing. Might even bring the kids here sometime for a little rock skipping. At least we wouldn't have to worry about any "sneaker waves."

No comments:

Post a Comment