Sunday, March 13, 2011

Side Trip: Shamrock Run/Walk 2011

First ever Shamrock "Run" and second major event in one year. Only walked 5K this time, but had a chance to get a good feel for how the thing works so maybe next year I'll see if I can run the same distance.

I arrived with plenty of time to spare this morning and stood in the rain watching the 15K, 8K and 5K runners take off before my "Stride" portion's turn. As I took in all the "Irish for a day" clothes, I spotted a bagpiper. A bit Scottish for this event perhaps...




Loved the large Guinness can running by. Don't blink or you'll miss it!



Soon enough, the start came and we took off en masse.



Passed this cute girl along the way. She just kept chugging along and wouldn't quit!



After passing a marching band playing Metallica's "Enter Sandman" followed by Foo Fighters' "Monkey Wrench" (excellent choices!), I saw another shirt that made me chuckle:



Heading toward the finish we got a nice view of downtown with the KOIN Building to the left:



All in all, a fun side trip to the usual Sunday walk. A little soggy and more than a little crowded but a nice way to celebrate the coming of spring. Thanks to Kimmy for loaning me the leprechaun button!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time!!!!!!! I wish I could have been there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and pictures. After this you took the 3 1/2 hr. nap? 'sounds like a good idea. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's my formula: Get up early, walk, nap, repeat!

    ReplyDelete