Friday, April 8, 2011

Walk 43: Willamette Historic District, West Linn (2 miles)

It’s striking how regular walking has changed my perspective on distance. Two miles used to seem pretty long. Now it’s a short stroll! This walk wound through the historic district of Willamette, with a side trip past Willamette Park and the confluence of the Willamette and Tualatin Rivers.

It started at 12th Street and Willamette Falls Drive, an area of a few shop fronts but not a lot more.



I headed down picket fence-lined streets, where I eventually saw cow prints embedded in one sidewalk.





As I would through town, I passed some interesting historic looking houses, with the same style name plates as I saw in Oregon City. (I dubbed the last one "The wizard hat house.")







As I made my way toward the Tualatin River, I saw this ridiculously large house, complete with vineyard and basketball court. Interestingly though, I wasn’t even remotely envious of it. It just looked so isolated. Where’s the community?



As I passed the bridge over the river, I saw these signs. Kind of sums up my impression about the pace of West Linn in general:



I made my way down to the river and saw this sign. I guess it’s got to start somewhere. A nice view followed…





As I left the riverbank, I saw these, and for a moment thought they were gravestones. Then I slapped my head (lightly) when I realized they were horseshoe stops at Willamette Park! (doh)



As I left the park area, I saw one more interesting thing: A large tree branch had grown around a power line, so the tree was cut away, leaving it hanging there:



And back to the starting point. Disappointed to find the only bakery type place was closed for the day. No luck this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment