Sunday, April 17, 2011

Walk 45: Troutdale: Downtown & Parks (3 miles)

I picked a crappy day to do this walk weather-wise, but it was still interesting, and a good workout.

A grand metal arch announced my entrance to the town:



As I walked past the storefronts, I couldn't help but feel a little like I was entering a Twilight Zone episode, that if I walked through any of the doors I would find nothing but plywood supports and a dirt field behind them.



Just before I left the downtown area, I passed this curious sight. You don't often see a roof collapse all the way below street level:



Next on the Historic Columbia River Highway came the Harlow House and Barn Museums, "open every 3rd Saturday from 10 to 2." Inside (apparently, as this wasn't one of those 3rd Saturdays), you can view life as it was back in the early 1900's: Wood stove, butter making equipment, utensils, etc.

Fred Harlow, a sea captain-turned-businessman from Maine, built the house in 1900, added some trout ponds around the area, and named the new town Troutdale in honor of the fish.





There are a few new houses popping up in the area as well, like this one. Looked kind of weird though, isolated from the other houses around it. Not much of a neighborhood here:



I then crossed the historic Sandy Bridge, built in 1912, with much of the wear and tear of the years showing in the wood planks that I walked over to get to the other side. Bit of an adrenaline rush, actually, as the bridge rattled when trucks rolled over it.







Leaving the bridge, I made my way down to the Sandy River, the banks of which are indeed quite sandy. This sign made me pause for a minute, until I realized it was meant for river traffic and not automobiles! (doh)





The furthest point of the walk was at the Lewis and Clark State Park. I read in the book about Broughton Bluff, which looked like a nice little side hike up a hill. I found the trail and scooted up. (The picture doesn't show how steep this was, but I was almost on my hands and knees going up, which was fun because the ground was so wet and muddy.)



Apparently I took the wrong trail though, as it came to a dead end about three-fourths of the way to the top. Suddenly, my leg started burning intensely and I began to wonder if I had wandered into something I shouldn't have. Anyone recognize this plant? My guess is nettles but I don't know...



At least I got a nice look down from there.



As I made my way back down, and toward the exit trail, I saw this. NOW they put a sign!



As I left the park and returned over the Sandy Bridge, I saw a sign to a "beach." Hm, I wondered, is it a nice one? (Perhaps the "no dogs" sign was a hint.)



Well, if you like to play on a beach where if you wander into the water you could drown easily, then yes, I imagine it's quite pleasant in sunnier/warmer times.





I then walked back up the Highway and past the Harlow House, where I found another small trail up a hill, this one much more scenic and benign. Glad I didn't miss it!







One final stop at the Depot Museum; but alas, this one was also open only every 3rd Saturday from 10 to 2. Small chance finding this open on a random trip like mine!



It had been a cold walk for an April day (mid 40's) and rainy and windy, but it was certainly an adventure. I saw more than I expected, or bargained for, and the good news was that the burning in my legs only lasted the rest of the evening. By the next morning I was fine. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment