Sunday, April 10, 2011

Walk 44: Westmoreland to Crystal Springs to Reed College (5 miles)

This walk had not one but two distinct human-made "natural" areas, both to which I'd never been, but was happy I finally did!

This walk started at SE 17th Avenue and Bybee Boulevard in the Westmoreland neighborhood of Portland. I headed east, crossing train tracks and the Bybee Bridge, traveling alongside the Eastmoreland Golf Course. I couldn't decide whether it was nice, or cruel. Kept thinking how much I'd like to get out there on the links!





I arrived at the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, and paid the $3 admission fee (free on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but this was a Sunday). The price was totally worth it, based on the sights and smells of the place. I spent a good 45 minutes wandering around, relaxing quite a bit in spite of my haste to complete the walk and get home in time for dinner.











If you like ducks (and geese), this place has LOTS of them. I caught these two napping near a gently trickling waterfall. Nice day for it!



I left Crystal Springs feeling somewhat rejuvenated, and continued on SE 28th Avenue to Reed College, where I found my way to a path that went a long way around a creek, lake and springs. It was really nice back there, and there were very few people on the paths to disturb the reverie.





I left the trail and walked up to the college for a quick look around. Didn't see much - again, was trying to get back home in time to make food for the kids - but I did see some nice old buildings, well maintained campus grounds, and a cool outdoor amphitheater in front of the creek. I could just see them doing Shakespeare in this setting.





Starting back, I passed this fruit stand, and enjoyed some "berry good" fresh strawberries and plums.



As I returned to my car, I saw quite a queue across the street for Saburo's. Must be pretty good sushi in that place!



A very nice mid-distance walk. The best part was definitely the Crystal Springs garden. It's quite large, and I could easily spend a couple hours there with a sketch book, drawing or writing. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment